How to run a book drive
You can run a book drive to support Prison Book Program at your office, school, church, or other location! Here are some ideas to help it go smoothly.
- Set start and end dates and choose a location to gather your books
- Decide who will be in charge of bringing books to PBP at the end of your drive
- Make a sign for your book collection location and email out information with the dates and location, asking for gently used and new paperback books
Other tips that might help:
- At a workplace: Ask team leaders or whoever is in charge to send the emails about the drive. Include a link to our wishlist in case people prefer to buy books or want ideas for what titles to look for.
- At a university or school: For each of our bold genres below, try to find a department or club who might have books! For example, reach out to the art department about drawing books, Spanish department about books in Spanish, etc.
- Share the ideas below for how to find free or cheap books locally!
- If people don’t have books, ask them to contribute to a bulk order of composition books, puzzle books, or coloring books. And make sure to share one of our wishlist links for people who want to buy books directly.
- Set a goal number of books and count the number each week. Send update emails to let people know how it’s going!
How to find books in your community
Here are a few tips and tricks for finding low-cost and free books in local communities.